Friday, June 18, 2010

Characteristics of my/your race?

Nappy (hair) means kinky and frizzy, so why do people with kinky hair get offended by the adjective?



Beware, some people can use other words with the letter 閳ユ罚,閳?but it is only acceptable among themselves.



http://www.adversity.net/special/nappy_h...



http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18072804/?GT...



By the way, I have nappy hair, but I am conscious of it and have self-confidence.



Characteristics of my/your race?

Some people think of that word as offensive, because it is often used in racist remarks.



Characteristics of my/your race?

Nappy was a derogatory word used in connection with racism in the early 1900's, which is why some people still find it offensive. It is a word completely associated with black or african hair and as such, like any word coming from the wrong source, took on a negative meaning for certain people who were afraid of being racist or who did not want to be racially labelled. But if you are proud of your hair and you like the word, than it is yours and kudos to you for taking it back.



Characteristics of my/your race?

It's like everyone has a phobia of saying a word that starts with the letter " N" and wondering if they will offend someone. The reason why there is such outrage over this is because it was a white man calling a basketball team of black women "nappy headed ho's". He did not have to say this, knew he didn't, but said it anyway, and was probably quite aware that this would cause a real disturbance among the African-



American community. You can't just call a black woman a " ho" when you're white because it is seen as racially charged when this term was developed from rappers who are predominantly black. It is " their" term. You don't just call a group of respectable young women "hos" out of the blue. It's disrespectful and Imus knows better. I don't know if this was a publicity stunt or what not, but I feel bad for the women effected by his comments. What did they do to deserve such embarrassment?



Characteristics of my/your race?

I guess it would depend on the context that it's used!! People aren't stupid and know when something is meant to be derogatory and not descriptive!! I am sure if a group of people were to be called "straight haired, trailer trash" the sentiments of the public would be the same!! Why the focus on "Nappy"? I would take offense at being called a "HO"!! By the way, I too have nappy hair, and I wear waist length dreads. I am very self-confident.....and I am not a HO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++